Sweet Treats: Sugar-free Shortbread Cookies


So it has become evident to me that you simply cannot give up sugar without substitutes for it (Stevia powder in my case). As you're aware, I'm not giving up fruit (though I am sticking to low, sometimes medium GI fruits to ensure I keep the sugar spike at bay) yet sometimes you need a sweet treat in the form of a cookie!


I looked up a few sugar free recipes but couldn't find what I was looking for. I ended up using a super simple shortbread recipe (one that I have not used before, was limited by the foods available in my kitchen) and ended up with the following recipe:


50g butter (softened)
1 heaped tbs of Natvia
2 cups of flour (sifted)
Pinch of salt


Super easy right? As you normally would with sugar cookies, I creamed together the Natvia and butter. Make sure you beat vigorously as the more you beat- the fluffier your cookies will be.


Sifted in the flour and salt and formed the dough into a ball.


Refrigerate for 5 mins (or until a little firmer and colder- this makes the dough a little easier to handle) and take back out and reform into a log shape.


Cut 1cm thick slices down the log and place on parchment paper or a greaseproof baking sheet.


Bake for 25mins at 180 degrees Celsius and when they're golden brown - let them cool and enjoy!


I also ground up a little more Natvia in a mortar and pestle and sprinkled over the top (just a replacement for icing sugar) was scrumptious with my herbal tea.


Happy Cooking :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment